**This blog post may contain affiliate links. Learn more.Oh no, friends. I have discovered Amazon fashion. There are approximately 40 things in my Amazon cart at any given time because the Prime discounts and free shipping just get me. If you don’t have Amazon Prime, you can get a 30 day free trial right here!
I was never an avid online shopper before Amazon Prime. It has ruined me, in the best way. I have talked about it before but I really want to put together a capsule wardrobe. I’m looking to add some pieces that can be worn multiple ways well in to the fall and winter season with items existing in my closet now. Most of these pieces shown above are part of Amazon Prime so they will ship quickly and for FREE. This round up is about $230 all together – that’s 10 items at roughly $23 a piece! Though a few these are actually under $15 – this scarf and this dress! The reviews always make or break my faith in a product and these all have good reviews.
I’m trying really hard to become a more reasonable shopper. Basic clothing items just don’t catch my eye even though I love and strive for a more classic style. I just gravitate toward loud details and prints. Next thing I know I have an entire closet full of items that don’t really work together. In my current situation I have many pairs of patterned leggings (thanks, LuLaRoe ~ kidding ~ sort of) that really need to be worn with solid color long tunic style shirts or dresses. I have patterned dresses and patterned leggings. Pattern mixing can obviously work in some instances but for the most part my patterns just don’t go together well at all. Fail.
I want my clothing to be comfortable and functional yet still polished and put together. It’s a little bit of a balancing act, especially now that I’m a mom. So what’s the plan?
Operation Closet Overhaul / Capsule Wardrobe:
1. I’m going to add in these new staple pieces. Generally speaking, you should purge before purchasing new items, right? Well, yes and no! I think adding in a few items that can be mixed more easily will help me to realize the potential of some of the unworn items in my closet.
2. I’m not going to purchase any other items for the entire fall/winter season once I have purchased the items shown above or similar items.
3. I’m going to create a capsule wardrobe consisting of 30 pieces, wear only those items, and share weekly outfit posts containing only those items. This does not include work out clothing, jewelry, accessories, underwear, etc. I am going to move the rest of my clothes to a separate portion of the closet or possibly to the guest bedroom closet. I want to try this for AT LEAST a month and then we will go from there.
4. Once my capsule wardrobe month has come to an end, I’m going to utilize the hanger trick. This is when you turn every hanger around backwards in your closet for an allotted amount of time. When you wear an item, you can turn it the correct way. Then at the end of the time period you’ve decided on you will get rid of the items still facing the incorrect way. The idea is to be able to quickly identify what you wear and what you don’t. I may love my capsule wardrobe so much that I have no problem getting rid of everything I set aside during that time, we will see!
5. I’m going to donate/sell what I don’t wear so I can see what I really have. I REALLY AM. THIS TIME. Hahaha.
I really think this will get my creativity flowing again. I used to feel like I had such an eye for putting outfits together, but it took quite a bit of time and energy that I just don’t feel like spending these days! I am hoping focusing in on a limited number of items will really help me love my clothes again and grasp a bit of reality when it comes to what I really need.