This blog post may contain affiliate links. Learn more.It’s almost Derby time! Today I want to share an outfit with all of you that is perfect to wear to the races. The Kentucky Derby is a horse race held annually at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky and if you attend, you’ll want to be dressed to impress! I’m linking up with quite a few other Kentucky bloggers to share tons of Derby themed posts with all of you today, so if you aren’t sure you have all of the details about the Derby – you will now! Make sure to check out all of their posts below for all of the info!
Key Tips When Dressing For The Derby:
- DO wear spring attire – think dresses, floral patterns, equine patterns, pastels and bright colors alike, etc! BUT I think a classic little black dress can work just as well with the right accessories if that is more your speed. PS: Dresses with pockets are awesome, but you probably know that.
- DO wear a hat or a fascinator! Let it be the star of the show! You may want to keep your dress and other accessories on the simple side if you’re planning to wear a bold hat or fascinator.
- DO wear heels BUT bring a pair of flats just in case! Chunky heels and wedges are perfect in my opinion because walking in the grass can get tricky!
- DO dress in layers. Kentucky weather can be a little wild and unpredictable. Stay warm or cool, depending!
- DO bring a bag that can carry your flats, sunscreen, poncho, a bottle of water, your program, and anything else you may need! I have a small clutch wallet that I can keep my money, phone, and a lipstick in to grab if I don’t want to haul my purse with me to make a wager! There is a bag size limit so make sure to check your bag against that!
- DON’T wear anything that you may start to feel uncomfortable in or that may be difficult to use the restrooms in. I’m looking at you, JUMPSUITS. I mean, y’all can do it if you want but that’s a long day of stripping naked in public restrooms. 😉
Check out what other Bluegrass bloggers have to offer this Kentucky Derby season!
Where to Celebrate the Derby in Lexington / Lex Eats
Plus Size Derby & Oaks Style / Authentically Emmie
The History of the Kentucky Derby + Kentucky Derby Facts / Fabulous in Fayette
Oaks & Derby Looks from Amazon / Munchkins and the Military
How to Throw the Best Derby Party / The Bliss Between
Affordable Places to Experience Derby / Loud Girl Big World
Derby Party Cocktail / Space Place and Southern Grace
Horse Cupcakes with Bourbon Icing / Kentucky Girl Ramblings
Derby Cocktail / House Three Thirty Six
Beers for Bourbon Lovers / Love Me Brew
Advice to Survive Derby Week from a Multiple Derby Attendee / Dog Lady Horse Crazy
Derby Party Appetizers / Fashion, Frappes & Felines
Derby Recipe / Bourbon & Lipstick
How to Dress for the Derby / Styled in Blue
Vineyard Vines Run for the Roses Scarf Benefiting Norton Cancer Institute / HerKentucky
Affordable Derby Outfit / Same McKenna
Derby Recipe / Kabkitchen
Derby Party Recipes / Gathered Living